In New York law, Article 241 refers to harassment of rent regulated tenants. If you have been charged with such an offense, you should contact a criminal defense attorney immediately.
The complete law is as follows:
241.00 Harassment of a rent regulated tenant; definition of terms.
241.05 Harassment of a rent regulated tenant.
As used in this article:
1. “Rent regulated tenant” shall mean a person occupying a housing accommodation which is subject to the regulations and control of residential rents and evictions pursuant to the emergency housing rent control law, the local emergency housing rent control act, the emergency tenant protection act of nineteen seventy-four, the New York city rent and rehabilitation law or the New York city rent stabilization law of nineteen hundred sixty-nine, and such person is either a party to a lease or rental agreement for such housing accommodation, a statutory tenant or a person who lawfully occupies such housing accommodation with such party to a lease or rental agreement or with such statutory tenant. The definition of “rent regulated tenant” as used in this subdivision shall be applicable only to the provisions of this article and shall not be applicable to any other provision of law.
2. “Housing accommodations” shall mean housing accommodations which are subject to the regulations and control of residential rents and evictions pursuant to the emergency housing rent control law, the local emergency housing rent control act, the emergency tenant protection act of nineteen seventy-four, the New York city rent and rehabilitation law or the New York city rent stabilization law of nineteen hundred sixty-nine.
3. “Owner” shall mean an owner, lessor, sublessor, assignee, net lessee, or a proprietary lessee of a housing accommodation in a structure or premises owned by a cooperative corporation or association, or an owner of a condominium unit or the sponsor of such cooperative corporation or association or condominium development, or any other person or entity receiving or entitled to receive rent for the use or occupation of any housing accommodation, or an agent of or any person acting on behalf of any of the foregoing. * NB Repealed June 16, 2015
An owner is guilty of harassment of a rent regulated tenant when with intent to cause a rent regulated tenant to vacate a housing accommodation, such owner:
1. With intent to cause physical injury to such tenant, causes such injury to such tenant or to a third person; or
2. Recklessly causes physical injury to such tenant or to a third person.
Harassment of a rent regulated tenant is a class E felony.
* NB Repeal Date: June 16, 2015
Client’s breath test was a 0.19 BAC
Client alleged to have nearly collided with police cruiser
Arrest at DWI checkpoint stop
Assault case alleging substantial injuries
Client’s cellphone searched at border related to cocaine smuggling charges
Prisoner civil rights case following sexual assault by a prison guard
Federal murder charges related to racketeering conspiracy
Please fill out the form below to receive a free consultation, we will respond to your inquiry within 24-hours guaranteed.