List of Expert Witnesses for DUI/ DWI CasesJuly 11, 2012
- Mary McMurray. Blue Mounds, WI. Chemistry degree. Previously worked for Wisconsin State Patrol on Intoxilyzer 5000 as instructor and maintenance tech. Extensive experience with BAC Datamaster, Intoximeter EC-IR and Draeger 7410 & 7110. Expert on preliminary breath testing devices. Expert on software applications for breath instruments. Also former SFST instructor in 1980s and early 1990s. Mary’s e-mail: [email protected] and home phone: 608-437-5344; cell: 608-772-1055.
- Jay Zager of Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Ex-cop in Broward County. Medical retirement after 15 years. CMI factory trained on BOTH the Intoxilyzer 8000 and 5000. Repair technician approved by factory. Also, NHTSA SFST Instructor. E-mail: [email protected]. Phone: 954-752-9788; FAX (954) 752-9788.
- Robert (Bob) LaPier, (208) 754-4632, (800) 257-4643, SFST Instructor. Ex-cop who has trained thousands of cops on SFSTs. DRE instructor. Accident reconstruction. Intoxilyzer 5000 maintenance and instructor certified. www.LaPier.com.
- Steve Rubenzer, Houston, TX; E-Mail: [email protected]; website: www.SteveRubenzerPhD.com; 11914 Astoria, Suite 490, Houston, TX 77089; Ph: 281-481-5715, Fax: 281-922-5903. Bachelors of Science, Psychology, University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, 1981; Master of Science, Clinical Psychology, University of Houston, 1984; Doctor of Philosophy, Clinical Psychology, University of Houston, 1990; Licensed Psychologist in Texas since 1992. SFST Instructor, plus has taken special courses on eye movements at the University of Houston College of Optometry that enable him to testify about HGN and similar eye movements. ABPP Diplomate in Forensic Psychology (one of 220 in USA), American Board of Professional Psychology.
- Walden, Platt & Associates – Bryan, TX – Two Master Police Trainers (Troy Walden and Lance Platt) with Ph.D. degrees; retired from police work as NHTSA & IACP DRE and SFST trainers of the trainers; also handle in-depth police investigation and analysis of DUI/DWI case files and are available for testimony in court proceedings. www.WaldenPlatt.com. (979) 822-3060; fax: (979) 822-3061. [email protected] or [email protected]. Supervise SFST Student and Instructor Courses across the USA.
- Stefan Rose, MD, Physician trained in General Psychiatry, Clinical Pathology and Forensic Toxicology, 10130 Northlake Blvd., Suite 214, #300, West Palm Beach, FL 33412, 561-795-4452, fax 561-795-4768, pager 800-555-6449; [email protected]; expertise in drugs, especially cocaine, plus expert on Intoxilyzer 5000, drug dog expert.”
- David Stafford, Ph.D. Memphis, TN; Toxicologist (formerly with University of Tennessee Medical School over 30 years, now retired); Breath, Blood, Urine, SFST. Drugs, alcohol, arson investigation. Call at home 901-726-4876.
- Pat Demers, Retired Pharmacist and Masters in Forensic Science. Formerly ran crime lab in Massachusetts. Currently resides in Maine. Phone 207-636-2908; Cell 207-459-0981; E-mail [email protected]; 124 10th Street, Acton, ME 04001 (207) 636-7840.
- Rick Swope – Davie, FL- SFSTs, Accident Reconstruction, Engineer – 8211 SW 28 Street, Davie, FL 33328 Office: (954) 476-7640; Fax: 954-476-9224 . Masters Degree, Engineering; ex-cop and ex-DUI task force officer. SFST Master Instructor. [email protected]; www.Swoperecon.com.
- Edward F. Fitzgerald, JD, Mesa, AZ; wrote book on Intoxication Test Evidence, 480-699-9334; 480-688-0831, general information on breath test principles and blood/urine testing. E-mail at: [email protected]. www.Edwardffitzgerald.com.
- Dr. Michael Hlastala, Ph.D., breath testing device expert, Professor of Lung Physiology and Biophysics and of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, (206) 543-3166; fax: (206) 685-8673; voice message (206)-685-8436; [email protected]; home: (425) 742-7811 (425) 280-7319 (cell). Practicing since 1969, with over 350 published articles or books. www.mphlastala.com.
- Dr. James Woodford, Ph.D., Chemistry, Chattanooga, TN; [email protected] or [email protected], 423-821-1146 or 423-432-2606 (cell); breath, blood, urine, drugs or alcohol. Also, attended my first SFST student course in 1994. www.Mindspring.com/~woodford.
- Harvey Cohen, Ph.D, C.I.H., Cambridge Technical Associates, PO Box 920113, Needham, MA 02492, (781) 449-4335, fax# (781) 449-1539, Co-Author of Harvey M. Cohen & Joseph B. Green, APPREHENDING AND PROSECUTING THE DRUNK DRIVER (Matthew Bender 2002). [email protected].
- Dr. Robert Middleberg, Pharm. D., Ph.D., 3701 Welsh Road, Willow Grove, PA, 215-657-4900; fax: 215-657-2972. Intoxilyzer 5000; pharmacology issues, toxicology. He currently directs the Forensic Toxicology unit of National Medical Services, as well as serving as a laboratory director. He previously served as the Director of Expert Services for NMS, and coordinated medico-legal issues for courts, attorneys, etc.
- Charles E. Smith, DUI Consultant, Ex-cop (23 years) with Factory Maintenance and Repair Training by CMI (40 hours); over 30 years of O-T-J training; SFST Instructor; DRE Instructor; plus has been court qualified to do retrograde work as a toxicologist in Florida (from job training, not educational degrees). SFST Instructor Training in 1983, plus has taught DRE course; 772-286-5761 & 772-286-6732 (fax); [email protected].
- Francis Gengo, Pharm.D, Ph.D., Pharmacology; Toxicology; 64 Dan Troy Dr., Williamsville, NY 14221-3550, (716) 634-0915. See web information at www.Dentinstitute.com/document_26_4.html. Dr. Gengo currently serves as an Associate Professor of Pharmacy and Neurology and a Clinical Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery at the SUNYAB School of Medicine.
- Steven W. Rickard, Accident Reconstruction Expert & Animation of Accidents, Prior PA State Trooper with over 30 years total experience; 1644 Whitley Drive, Harrisburg, PA 17111, (717) 540-3451 or 3457.
- William C. Fischer, Endicott, NY, 607-785-5766; fax: 607-748-8404, Accident Reconstruction and Vehicle Fault Expert.
- David Sweeney, Conway, SC; Pharmacokinetics, Pharmacology, Infrared Breath Testing (BAC Datamaster and basic issues for Intoxilyzer 5000); effects of EITHER alcohol or drugs– prescribed and non-prescribed (contraband) – 843-241-3108 (cell); 843-347-0352 (work); 843-365-7201 (home). E-mail: [email protected].
- Tony Corroto, 17 years of police work with Atlanta PD – Master Instructor of Instructors in BOTH SFSTs and DREs – Oversaw breath test program & ran over 10,000 Intoxilyzer 5000 breath tests – Web site: www.DUIexpertWitness.com; E-mail: [email protected]; Phone: (404) 906-2153; Fax: (770) 693-9852.
- Lawrence Masten, Ph.D in Toxicology, Board Certified in Toxicology; 873 West Bay Drive, 186, Largo, FL 33770, 727-595-6575; fax: 727-595-0785; toll free: 866-329-9262; [email protected]. Handles collection, transport, storage, and analysis of legal and hospital blood for BACs & the interpretation of BACs and factors that affect BAC readings and/or blood/urine drug levels. 33 years experience.
- Dominick A. Labianca, Ph.D., Department of Chemistry, Brooklyn College of The City University of New York, Brooklyn, NY 11210; 718-951-5458 or home: 516-489-3247. Expert in blood, urine, proper testing, conversion from serum to whole blood.
- Dr. Alfred E. Staubus, Pharm.D., Ph.D., (614) 451-1406 (phone), (614) 451-1407 (fax) (Alcohol and drug issues; blood, breath or urine testing). E-mail: [email protected]. 1015 Kenway Court, Columbus, OH 43220.
- Dr. David Schneider, Pharm D., BA in Biology; Practicing Pharmacologist for 30+ years, Royal Oak, MI; 313-577-1579; fax: 810-545-2475.
- William Giguiere; B.S. in Zoology, with minors in chemistry and political science; grad studies in marine biology; masters in secondary education to teach biological and physical sciences; graduate studies in toxicology, pulmonary functioning and respiratory therapy and in alcohol studies; presently works at Park-Gilman Clinics, Inc. Burlingame, CA 94010; 650-259-7564 or fax: 650-259-7952.
- David (Dave) Fries – Live Oak, FL; Intoxilyzer 5000, SFST Field Testing (Instructor) – 386-344-1770 cell; 386-658-3464 work; 386-658-2687 fax; [email protected]. Ex-cop with extensive experience on the Intoxilyzer 5000.
- Kenneth Glaza, K & R’s Recording Studio, Inc., www.knr.net, V:(248)557-8276 F:(248)557-0441, forensic audio or video enhancement or filtering, plus other engineering services. See vita: www.knr.net/vita2.htm.
- Bill Taylor – Standardized and Non-Standardized Field Testing and Intoxilyzer 5000- 770-534-1501. E-mail: [email protected]. Ex-cop (27+ years) who has trained in excess of 3000 instructors and students on SFSTs. Retired Police Captain, in charge of the DUI task force. Formerly headed up State of Georgia original training on NHTSA SFSTs & alcohol/drug training for 3 years, after retirement as cop in 1991.
- Dr. Terry Martinez, Toxicologic Associates Inc., 6614 Clayton Road, #107 Richmond Heights, Mo 63117; Ph: (618)- 345-0786; (618) 367-8700; ext. 1404. Holds Ph.D. in Pharmacology. He is also an expert on methamphetamine manufacture cases.
- Jerry W. Bush, MD, medical degree, University of Alabama; B.S. in Pharmacy, Auburn University (1st in Class); Board Certified in Internal Medicine; background in pharmaceutical research; certified independent medical examiner; presently in private medical practice south of Atlanta; P.O. Box 39, Williamson, GA 30292.
- Gil Snowden, Brick, NJ; [email protected]; Phone: 732-458-4014; fax: 732-458-3449; former New Jersey State Police Breath Test Coordinator/Instructor and DWI/SFST instructor, now expert for breath testing and SFSTs.
- Mike McDermott, Forensic Audio & Tape Expert, Great Falls, VA; 703-757-0103; fax: 703-757-0262; E-mail: [email protected].
- Dr. David Benjamin, Ph. D., www.DoctorBenjamin.com; 77 Florence Street, Suite 107, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, Telephone: 617-969-1393, Fax: 617-969-4285. Alcohol or drugs are within his realm of expertise.
- Joe Citron, MD, JD (board-certified ophthalmologist for 30+ years), Atlanta, GA – HGN guru (from both medical standpoint and SFST training) and other SFSTs (certified); Intox 5000 (factory certified instructor); medical testimony such as symptoms that mimic alcohol impairment after traffic accident; medical degree, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NY; residency at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN – 404-261-2911 or 404-386-1100 or 404-784-5297. e-mail: [email protected].
- Dr. Richard Saferstein, Ph.D., 20 Forrest Court, Mount Laurel, NJ 08054, (856) 234-7134 voice, (856) 778-4841 fax.Ph.D. in Chemistry. Noted author of books on Forensic Science. Former Chief Chemist for the State of New Jersey.
- Stan Alari, Radar and Laser Expert, 412 North Pacific Coast Hwy #237, Laguna Beach CA 92651, 1- 877- SOX RADAR Cell: 562- 682- 5372 Fax: 760- 406- 6222 [email protected]. Stanley Alari & Associates. www.StantherAdarman.com.
- Joseph William Huff, Ph.D. in Physiology from Medical College of Georgia, Masters in Pharmacology from University of Georgia, B.S. in Chemistry with minors in Biology and Mathematics from West Georgia College, 118 Lyle Way, Carrollton, GA 30117, CEO, Materials and Surfaces, Ltd; Adjunct Professor, State University of West Georgia; 770-834-8611; fax: 770-832-1028; [email protected]. Previously worked as Assistant Professor teaching Ophthalmology at the Bethesda Eye Institute.
- Dr. Spurgeon Cole, Ph.D., Psychology (formerly with Clemson University); Expert in Psychophysical Testing protocol and devastating witness regarding the lack of scientific method in implementation of SFSTs and “Validation Studies”; 1040 McNutt Crossing, Bogart, GA 30622, (864) 710-1293 (cell), 706-208-8167 (home), [email protected].
- Dr. Ronald Nowaczyk, Ph.D., received BA from Northwestern University, MA and Ph.D. Miami University (Ohio), Associate Vice Chancellor for Economic and Community Development, Head of Department, Professor of Psychology, Office of Economic and Community Development, 300 E. First Street, 301 Willis Building, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858; Phone: (252) 328-6650 ext. 231, Fax: (252) 328-4356, email address: [email protected].
- Gil Sapir, Forensic Science Consultant, undergrad degree in Microbiology and Biology, Colorado State University, Master of Science in Criminalistics, University of Illinois-Chicago; JD degree, Chicago-Kent College of Law; extensive publications and law review articles on breath testing deficiencies and SFST unreliability; has taken factory training on most breath testing devices, including EC-IR, DataMaster, Intoximeter 3000. SFST trained. [email protected]; P.O. Box 6950, Chicago, IL 60680; 312-458-0665.
- Ron Lloyd, Villa Rica, GA; former Georgia State Trooper for 13 years; NHTSA SFST Instructor; DRE Instructor; Top Instructor in Georgia when he departed to be a private investigator and expert in DUI cases; Intoxilyzer 5000 operator trained (as a cop), but not a factory ‘technician”. (770) 463-8823 Business; (770) 463-8813 Fax; (404) 822-4003 cell; 12 North Alexander Creek Road, Newnan, GA 30263. E-mail: [email protected].
- James Johnson, Polygraph Expert, Former Chief Polygrapher for U. S. Air Force (Europe), 11 Deerwood Drive, Litchfield, NH 03052-8004, 603-424-6365.
- Lonny E. Horowitz, MD – Was an EMT prior to attending medical school; worked for 4 years during residency and internship in trauma units in NY and NJ area; can provide expert testimony about symptoms of traumatic head injury mimicking alcohol intoxication; also expert in diabetes, hypoglycemia and high protein diet issues for breath test interference defense. No training on breath testing devices, but can explain how ketone conversion to isopropyl alcohol may be misread by an infrared device as ethyl alcohol. 770-393-3438. Woodstock, GA location. [email protected].
- Forensic Gait Analysis Group, Two podiatrists [Dr. Clark D. Miller and Dr. Paul N. Greenberg] provide medical and scientific review of DUI-DWI suspects regarding foot function and “gait” analysis. Use computer technology to quantitatively measure and analyze gait patterns for purposes of refuting police claims of impairment as shown through field sobriety testing procedures. 212-794-2060 (NY) or 973-379-4965 (NJ). www.ForensicGait.com and E-mail at: [email protected].
- Ronald Henson, Ph.D. Peoria, IL (309) 360-5614; website: www.beron.us P.O. Box 10706, Peoria, IL 61612-0706. Ph.D. (Dissertation: Workplace Drug & Alcohol Testing), M.P.A., B.S. Ex-police officer and previously worked for State of Illinois as an Instructor for Breath, Blood, and Urine Alcohol Testing and SFSTs. Expert experience with the Intoximeter EC/IR, Intoximeter 3000, AlcoSensor Models III & RBT IV, Intoxilyzer 5000 & 4011s, BAC Verifier, BAC DataMaster, portable breath test devices, and related physiology and pharmacology principles associated with alcohol testing.
- Dr. Sarah Kerrigan, Ph.D., Forensic Toxicologist. A Scotland Yard training toxicologist whose specialty is drugs that impair, Dr. Kerrigan received her BS in Chemistry/Analytical Chemistry and Toxicology and her Ph.D. in Chemistry in the field of drugs of abuse testing. Mailing Address: P.O. Box 7429, Houston TX 77248-7429; Office: 713 868 2440; Cell: 713 817 2229; E-mail: [email protected].
- Dr. Gerald P. Simpson, Ph.D., 846 Woodlawn Dr, Thousand Oaks, CA 91360, home number is 805-495-3652.
- Jan Semenoff, a factory certified instructor for the Intoxilyzer 5000, and a former Canadian police officer. E-mail: [email protected]; Web site: www.itd2.com; offers breath training course for Intoxilyzer 5000.
- J. Robert Zettl, Forensic Toxicologist (Bachelor of Science in Bacteriology with minor in Physical Chemistry; Masters in Public Administration), (Intoxilyzer 5000, blood tests; urine tests) Littleton, CO, Voice/cell 720-363-9900; Fax 303-795-1654; Home 303-795-9271; Email: [email protected]; formerly with State of Colorado Alcohol Program for over 25 years.
- Joann Samson, Ph.D., Toxicologist/Physiologist, NHTSA Certified Instructor, Breath, Blood and Urine Expert, 17 Princeton Street, Concord, NH 03301, (603) 229-0073; Fax: (603) 224-6933, [email protected] [Former State Toxicologist].
- Thomas E. Workman, Esq., – Patent Attorney with 30+ years in high-level computer software, firmware and hardware development; understands “Source Code” issues and can analyze code and can testify about flaws in programs running breath computers; www.computers-forensic-expert.com. 41 Harrison Street, Taunton, MA 02780; 508-822-7777; Fax: 508-824-2420; E-mail: [email protected].
- Wanda Marley, RN, BSN, CRNA, MS, PhD., Fort Collins, CO. Worked as emergency room and intensive care nurse, then certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) in operating room for total of 16 years. Trained at Mayo Clinic in anesthesia, and got a masters degree at the University of Kansas, which stressed primarily pharmacology and toxicology. Taught physiology and pharmacology at Colorado State University for 7 years, after earning a doctoral degree there, in physiology. Worked for 19 months as Senior Scientist at Rocky Mountain Instrumental Laboratory, then opened medical-legal consulting business. Testifies on DUI and DUID cases; particularly when the client has some medical problem or takes prescription meds which contribute some degree of psychomotor impairment. Website: www.RockyMedleg.com; E-mail: [email protected]; Phone: (970) 224-4587; Fax: (970) 224-1194.
- Gary Lage, Ph.D, Toxicologist; can handle alcohol or drugs with blood tests, pharmacology issues; ToxLogics, Inc., 22 Bernard Street, Ewing, NJ 08628; (606) 883-9077; FAX: 609-883-9044; E-Mail: [email protected]; Website: www.rtctox.com/lage.htm.
- John Woodward, Utica Toxicology Services, 737 3rd Avenue, #E, Chula Vista, CA 91910, has been an expert for state in more than 2500 cases prior to moving over to independent lab work in criminal and civil cases. Phone: 619-420-8388; Fax: 619-420-4128; E-mail: [email protected].
- Barry S. Reiss, Ph.D., 8006 Bellafiore Way, Boynton Beach, FL 33437, 561 733 7916 (Phone), 917 838 2095 (Mobile), E-mail: [email protected]; pharmacology expert witness for civil, DUI, DWI, and federal pharmacy law. Licensed in Florida and New York. Twenty-five years of experience in providing pharmacology expert witness testimony. Author of three books on Pharmacology; former pharmacology professor.